Re: old cars made new again

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: old cars made new again
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Thu, 7 May 92 18:06:37 PDT
kent@parc.xerox.com writes:

>So, how do I keep the car I love?
>...Not a thing to be put in a box and worried about.

I, too, am trying to find the right balance between restoration
and just fixing.  I've already decided to change to negative earth
and put in a radio/tape unit with a good, new-style antenna. The
dash is ugly peeled vinyl, and will *not* stay that way; I might
even get one of those wooden dash panels that I seem to recall
seeing.  On the other hand, as a hockey addict, I thought about
a Sharks Teal paint job, but decided that would be too sacreligious.

I guess it's like the historic preservation real-estate projects
that make such a great tax shelter: preserve the basic veneer, but
don't be afraid to put in some modern amenities.

>Sarah's home...

I take it that "Sarah" is the car's name?
I agree that a *real* car should have a name. I rather like
what  Berry K. did -- "Sybil, the Fawlty TR" -- and
I'm thinking of shamelessly pirating the idea and calling
mine "Basil". Or, I might call it "Worf" because it growls so well
and lives in an alien society.

I should, perhaps, explain that Basil or Worf or Whatever was in
running shape but ugly when I bought it, then ceased to be in running
shape -- at a time when I couldn't afford serious repairs. A few weeks
ago, I decided to remedy that, and the car is now in a mechanic's lair
having major surgery, soon to be followed by a visit to the paint shop.

>a convert to ITG filters and K&N stub stacks for the 1.75 carbs

Obviously, you are much more into it technically than I am.
Out of that whole line, I can identify "carbs". I used to do a lot
of my own work on VW Beetles, but those days are past and gone.
Hence the mechanic's lair.

>Triumph Racing Green, and quite shiny at that, where she was once
>tomato soup red over Bondo and rust.

Mine has the remnants of a British Racing Green paint job, but
the insides of the doors and other places indicate that it was once
tomato soup red.  To your knowledge, did TR-3s have red as an original
color choice?  If so, I think I'll have the repainting done in red.
Otherwise, green.  Maybe amber?  :-)
  Ed Rush, employed by but not speaking for
  Metaphor Computers, Mtn. View, CA
     UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!rush
     Internet: rush@metaphor.com
Calm down, everyone, it's only ones and zeroes.