MGB Brakes, other stuff

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGB Brakes, other stuff
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 11 May 92 14:42:01 EDT
Well I finally got my the brakes on my '74 MGB back together and working
(sort of.)  I replaced the rear cylinders, rebuilt the front calipers
and replaced the pads/linings all the way around.  This whole thing
was a lot more swork than I had anticipated, but then everything I do
to the B is.

I've had several problems I haven't been able to solve yet.  I didn't
replace the hoses to the calipers because I can't get the old ones off,
any ideas?  The parking brake still doesn't work as it seems I can only
get the adjusters to two spots, locked and too loose for the parking brake.
I've been having trouble getting the system bled (I've been fighting
with the idea of throwing another $40 into this project for an EZBleed),
although today at lunch I tried again and got closer to a solid pedal.
(How many of you have gone home at lunch to fix your car because it was
such a nice day you had to drive it :-)

Do any of you have the WeRace tube shock conversion on a B?  I do, but
there seems to be a problem with it.  The brakes hit the shocks!  The
bottom of the caliper hose and the caliper hit the tube if you try to
turn the wheel all the way (possibly why I can't get the hose out :-( )
They have hit hard enough that the shocks have dents in them!  I may
need to call WeRace to get a diagram and installation instructions to
make sure they are installed correctly.

Anyway, I've learned a lot about brakes in the process of doing this.
I've also learned a lot about patience.  I find I am much more patient
while working on my car than I am with just about anything else.
Have you ever noticed how easy it is to go out to the garage to work
on your car and all of a sudden it is about five hours later?

On another note, I rode in a 1961 Vanden Plas (sp?) this weekend.  I was
in a wedding and they had one as a limousine.  I would have to say
there is something to be said for riding down the Miracle Mile in Chicago
in a British limo while wearing a tux on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
Anyway, about the car, it was in decent but not great condition, right
hand drive, fold-down rear facing seats in the back, etc..  The finish on
the wood dash was cracking, the front passenger door could only be opened
from inside, the Smiths speedo was broken.  The driver didn't know a lot
about it and he drove like your typical psychotic taxi driver.  All in
all a pretty cool car, though.  How much is something like that worth?

Also while in Chicago, I saw a new Elan (much nicer in person than in
photos), four door Elite, and several British roadsters. I am going
to have to get the MGB up there sometime if for no other reason than
to cruise down Lake Shore Drive on a sunny day.

Bye for now,

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com

P.s. I apologize if any of you have gotten mail bounces from me recently.
Two weeks ago I changed buildings and our networks people screwed up
my mail routing, then last week UUNET cut us off for about a day and
a half.

P.p.s Swork is not in the Ispell dictionary :-)