British Cars Archive

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: British Cars Archive
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1992 09:05:03 -0400
Someone was wondering how to get the SU needle program- I suppose it's time
to post this again. (Maybe monthly, except I don't have an automatic
posting system)
The following is the README.SOL file from the b-c archive. Send me
any changes/corrections.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!

Files on the British-cars file servers and how to get them: Rev. 2/14/92 RG

The file servers are machines where various archives and articles of
interest are stored. You may get copies via "anonymous FTP", or by E-mail.
-----
A) FTP
If your machine has an internet connection, and runs the file transfer
program FTP, you've got what you need. Read your local manual/help on
using FTP.

1) Run FTP on your local machine, opening a connection to
        hoosier.utah.edu  (128.110.4.73)
2) Logon as user "anonymous", and use your name as the password.
3) Change to directory /pub/sol. (cd /pub/sol)
4) You may list the files using FTP's dir or ls commands to see files.
5) Set the file type to binary using the binary or image command if
   you're going to get something other than plain text files.
   (Like GIF's, or programs)
6) Use get or mget to one or multiple files.
7) Exit with the bye or quit command when done.
-----
B) E-Mail server
You may also retreive archives via an E-Mail server run by TJ Higgins.
To get instructions, send E-mail to:

   ARPA'ish:  server@ingr.com
or
   UUCP'ish:  ...!uunet!ingr!server

With the word "help" as the subject. (In the mail header) The server will
then send you the help file.  (To your From: or Reply-To: address).
-----
C) Hoosier is now running an experimental WAIS server. (hoosier.utah.edu,
   128.110.4.73 port 210  Databases- sol and autocross). This is a networked
   database index/search/retreive system. You can access this if you
   have a WAIS client on your local machine.
-----

Some of what is available:
README.SOL              -This file. (Note: capitol letters- FTP is
                        case sensitive.
welcome.sol             -Welcome and introduction to british-cars.
sol.digest.xxx.Z        -Archives of British-car mail (r-mail format)
  or
sol.month.Z

vtr                     -Info on how to join the Vintage Triumph Register
rules.91                -VTR Auto-x rules.
sol.survey              -1991 Survey of "our cars"
xxx.gif                 -Various pictures of "our cars", in GIF image form.
                         (binary)
*.xbm.Z                 -Compressed X11 bitmaps of british cars.
landrover.ascii         -Land-Rovers: Introduction and buyers guide.
gt6.ascii               -Triumph GT6: Introduction and buyers guide.
lotus.history           -Listing of Lotus car models by type number.
tr.parts                -British parts suppliers list -mjb
fluids.cht              -List of approiate fluids to use in British cars. -RG
SU.garnett              -"Tuning Your SU Carbs" by Roger Garnett
timing.muller           -How engine timing works -by Jim Muller
checklist.ascii.Z       -Automotive Buying/maintaince Checklist -Buja/Garnett
                         (binary)
suneedle.exe            -"HAYSTACK" IBM/PC program & documentation for
                         selecting SU carb needles -Dean Deeds
                         (self-extracting pk-zip file. Transfer in binary,
                         and run suneedle on your PC. Haystack files will
                         be created in current directory)

Notes-  The following are all binary files. Make sure you set ftp to binary
        or image mode:
        -All files ending in .Z are compressed using UNIX compress. They
        can be restored uning uncompress or zcat.
        -All files ending in gif are graphics images which can be viewed using
        a gif viewer program for your machine.
        -Files ending in .zip and .exe are pkzip compressed (for the PC)