Re: From Lotus reMarque

To: mason@ftp.com (Meat Vehicle)
Subject: Re: From Lotus reMarque
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 12 May 92 15:51:12 CDT
>1973 Europa TC eng & trans missing, otherwise complete and original.
>22K miles needs restoring $1750, scott, 303-493-8778 (Co)

Yeah, I saw that one, too.   Makes you wonder what happened to the Twin Cam and
the gearbox.  If it was just the engine that was gone, you could find a
cheap Ford engine and slap it in.  Or do a little more work and stick in
Mazda rotary and build a real zoomer for cheap.  Since the suspension attaches
to the gearbox, you can't even push the thing around the garage.

Some money and imagination could work here.  Old SAAB trannys are too weak in
the ring and pinion.  VW Fox should be cheap.  Or put the whole engine/tranny
package from a Fuego or Turbo Fuego in.  That would be pretty easy, as the
tranny case should be similar to the Renault box originally there.  A genuine
Lotus Twin Cam engine would run the cost so high, you might as well find a more
complete car to start with.  How about a Fuego Turbo 5-speed box with a
Mazda 13B engine.  Might not cost that much.   I have a Rotaropa article from
an earlier reMarque that makes it sound fairly easy, and the Twin Cam body has
a bit more room to work with, being longer than the S1/S2.

Or maybe you have a rusted out Lotus Cortina and a rusted-out Fuego with a
strong gearbox and a blown engine, just taking up space in the back forty...

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324