I bought a VW BUS

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: I bought a VW BUS
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1992 15:56 PDT
Skip now unless you want to hear about the VW bus I bought to take me to Belize

This is intended for all you people who replied to my questions about VW Busses.
Well, I looked at almost every bus in Eugene, price ranges from $500 for OK
body but duff motor to $1500 for OK body and not bad motor.  The ones I drove
all felt "loose".  I took in a 72 poptop camper to have it checked out and it
needed about $600 worth of work mostly on the front steering, he was asking
about $1300 firm.

Then I went to see a 1980 Vanagon pop-top camper.  he was asking $1895, it
had 21K on a rebuild, new trans, clutch, brakes, muffler, shocks over the past
3 years.  It had a new pop-top, has fridge, sink, stove, propane heater, 120V
to 12V converter, ancilliary car heater and new tires, bed, and cupboard space.
Its very much like a Westfalia.  Why so cheap??  Well it had some body damage,
not much just the usual scrapesalong the side at the back and front.  He was
not hurting for $$ (lived in a huge house etc) he just wanted to sell it
without any hassle.

I was the second person to drive it, and there was another person after me and
another on the way.  This was the first day he had advertised it.  After I got
back from my test drive I throught I had better act quick as I really liked it.
so I waived $1800 cash under his nose after he said his price was firm.  he
saidnop, $1895, so I gave him what he was asking before the people who were
testing
it even got back.  As we drove away (I was going to pick it up the next day)
someother people came along as asked us if we knew where the camper for sale
was, "I've just bought it" I said.

I forgot to say its even got a nice 4 speaker sterio in it.

If you got this far how about answering some questions??

Any suggestion for fitting an additional oil cooler??  Brands to get, place to
put it??

Is it possible to fit an oil pressure and oil temp guage to this model??

one good thing is that it has hydrolic lifters so I don't need to adjust the
valve clearences.

As I said I'm driving down to Belize in this new van, its only 4000 miles each
way through potholed Mexico and tropical climates!!

Cheers DW