Re: A weeks worth of unread mail

To: taylor!randy@hoosier
Subject: Re: A weeks worth of unread mail
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 13 May 92 12:26:20 CDT
randy@hoosier.utah.edu writes \

\With the Europa, if the temp is up and
\it pings, I'd look at the cooling system. Make *sure* it's properly bled,
\especially if it's one of the ones with excessive French heritage.

Do you mean with Renault engine as opposed to a Twink, or are you making some
finer distinction among Renault-engined cars themselves?

\(I can make fun of them, I had a S2 for six years).

Why did you get rid of it?  I would be happy hear more about the car.  I sucked
up Spridget info like crazy when I had mine.  I have fewer sources with this
one.

\Here's a head-scratcher for you. A 72 Ford Pinto set exactly to factory specs.
\With 70% antifreeze in the cooling system, it pings like crazy. Drain it
\and fill it with 50% (or less), and it stops pinging. In both cases, the temp
\gauge read exactly 180 degrees. First person with the correct answer about the
\cause of this gets a FREE!! years subscription to british-cars-digest. :>

The heat capacity of water is higher than the heat capacity of glycol, so the
 cooling was more efficient.  The Thermostat kept the temperature at the sensor
 the same, but the weaker solution carried away more heat.

\First step is to back the parking brake cable
\adjuster off until there is plenty of slack in the cable. Make sure that
\the cable is free, and both rear actuating levers are fully retracted.

Don't forget to grease the cable with the zerk fitting.  All cars should have
these!  The parking brake on my old Midget worked fine, and many newer cars
hereabouts have frozen parking-brake cables.

\Get in the car and stomp!

You bet!  The shoes have to be slid in to their proper positions and the one
way to to it is with repeated pedal-pumping.

\Oh, first thing is to make sure you have the shoes installed correctly.
\The lining is offset on the shoe. They go on such that the lining offset
\is in the direction of wheel spin. i.e. the "bare" spot on the shoe
\goes at bottom rear and top front. This is not the American way. If they're
\installed wrong, they will never adjust right.

I assume the (Spitfire?) shoes on the Europa work the same way as these MGB
brakes.  Right?

\Randy   (the over opinionated wrench)

"Over-opinionated"?  By whose standards?  This list can't work without lots of
people with opinions.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324