More ramblings

To: chrysanthemum!british-cars@hoosier
Subject: More ramblings
From: taylor!randy
Date: Thu May 14 01:19:17 1992
I'm having a problem. Every time I post to the list here, I don't receive
the next digest. Consider this a test, and please forgive me if it
appears that I don't respond to follow up posts. I'm not seeing them.

Anyway, Dennis Wilson was the first person to get a totally correct answer
to me (directly) on the headscratcher question. Jerry, Phil, and Roger also
got close, but too late. Here it is:

>Well how about this:  Water has a specific heat capasity of about 4.2joules,
>or something like that, now antifreeze has a different SHC (Lower I think),
>(nop, change my mind, higher i think) so it would not absorb heat as well
>in the head so the comb chamber would get hotter than with lower concs of
>antifreeze but the temp gauge would still read 180  because the cooling
 system
>is doin its job but the volume of coolant in the head with 70% antifreeze
>cannot conduct enough heat away for the time is spends there.

Also, Dennis, I'll check tommorrow to see if I can find the Spit motor listed
in a machine shop guide I have. It ought to give all of the data on the
cam and cam bearing sizes.

>Roger Garnett added:
>> The lining is offset on the shoe. They go on such that the lining offset
>> is in the direction of wheel spin. i.e. the "bare" spot on the shoe
>> goes at bottom rear and top front.
>
>I haven't had a set of B shoes apart reently enough to remember for sure,
>but I almost remember beth up or both down. Maybe not. I always do it
>by the spring cut-outs. Yea- that's why I think they both go the same
>way. Can you quote a reference on that? Now I gotta go home and look.

I was going to say not here at home, but a quick scan of my book shelf
turned up an old AutoPress MGB manual (63-73, it's old!). On page 115 it
pictures an exploded right brake, and on 116 it shows the assembled left
brake, both as I described them. (whew :)

>> P.S. Can anyone point me to the mentioned needle software, and is it in
>> source form? That's something I wouldn't mind porting over to my platform.
>
>I trust you've gotten up to my posting on the british-car archive by now.
>There's author info in the docs, or if you don't have a PC, I can look
>it up for you.

As explained above, no I didn't see it, unforch.

>Phil replied:

>Do you mean with Renault engine as opposed to a Twink, or are you making some
>finer distinction among Renault-engined cars themselves?

Yeah, I meant the Renault powered cars. They are much more subseptable to
small air pockets in the cooling because of the classic French engineering
of putting the water pump at the top of the cooling jacket rather than the
bottom. I've never figured out why they did that, and *kept on* designing that
way even after the flaw was obvious.

>\(I can make fun of them, I had a S2 for six years).

>Why did you get rid of it?  I would be happy hear more about the car.  I
sucked
>up Spridget info like crazy when I had mine.  I have fewer sources with this
>one.

That particular car was really my father's. He got it in 74, and drove it
daily for a while. Then he started tinkering, and fixing, and re-engineering,
and prettifying, and ...  The car got so "perfect" that he wouldn't drive it
much. So, he sold it and got a 41B (old F2 version). This we auto-x'd, until
he started fixing it up. That got too pretty, so was sold, also, and replaced
with a S1 Elite. When it was pretty enough, it got sold, and he bought a
super seven twincam. This car is currently perfect.... and for sale. There's
a pattern here somewhere, I just know it. BTW, anyone have a lead on a medium
condition turbo Esprit? (the non-fed Essex edition that keeps popping up in
the northeast has already been considered and rejected, because of being
non-fed)

>Don't forget to grease the cable with the zerk fitting.  All cars should have
>these!  The parking brake on my old Midget worked fine, and many newer cars
>hereabouts have frozen parking-brake cables.

Really, with the cars discussed here most, grease *everything* often!!

>I assume the (Spitfire?) shoes on the Europa work the same way as these MGB
>brakes.  Right?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe that the brakes on the Europa
are bigger. Either Herald or Vitesse. All of the British drum brakes I've
seen go together this way. My experence only goes back to the MGA and BN6
era. I don't work on cars older than me. :>

>"Over-opinionated"?  By whose standards?  This list can't work without lots of
>people with opinions.

Well, I pass all out going mail through a halon filled nomex filter. That
gets rid of most of the *hot* flames, anyway. Athough... some say I should
trash that and just use a spell checker like other people.

Randy