Help - Spitfire suspension

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Help - Spitfire suspension
From: jonb@oasis.icl.co.uk (Jon Bradshaw)
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 14:14:22 BST

I have a problem with the front suspension on my '76 Spitfire.

Its just failed its annual (Ministry Of Transport) MOT test because
the 'top wishbone ball-joint' is worn.  Can someone tell me what this
means and how I can check it/fix it.

I know there is a cross-piece in the middle of the top wishbone but
I can't see what what it is or how it can wear.  There is some sort of
rubber boot or bush around it, does this hide a joint?

I could go ahead and just replace the cross-piece but I'd prefer to know
what was wrong in the first place.

Any help would be most welcome.

Jon Bradshaw     jonb@oasis.icl.co.uk

ps. I have to get it fixed before Sunday morning!!