Dies at Idle (sometimes)

To: mark_rosneck@pdxml1.mentorg.com
Subject: Dies at Idle (sometimes)
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 13:22:57 -0700
Mark Rosneck scribes:

> Dies at Idle (sometimes)
> My 74 1/2 MGB (dual SU carbs) has developed one of those nasty
> "stupid LBC tricks."  It seems to run fine except when I come to
> a stop and then it sometimes just dies.  The problem is very intermittent and
> it idles fine most of the time (900-1000 rpm). The car restarts fine.  The
> problem seems worse in warm weather.  Speaking sternly to the car has no
> effect.

Have you just taken the car out of it's winter slumber? Or is it a daily
driver? If it has been in storage for it's winter slumber then almost
anything could be the cause. Like the seals and gaskets got dried out
and it is leaking air somewhere. The gas that was in it is not at the
same octane that it was when parked (assuming that you left it with gas
in the fuel tank when stored). This last suggestion will cause the
timing to be different and the carbs to be out of adjustment.

Did you possibly just have the car tuned? If so then something you did
during the tune-up is suspect. Are the points adjusted correctly? Is the
timing correct? Are they carbs syncronized? Is one carb richer/leaner
than the other (this is denoted by backfiring through the exhuast/carbs,
respectively).

Did you change brands of gas or type of gas. If so see above paragraph(s).

The plugs could be fouled(ing) and cause almost the same symptom,
especially if it was a gradual thing.

These are the ramblings of an insane madman. They represent my own
experiences, so your mileage may vary.

Bruce...

PS: I have noticed also that occasionally a drastic change in weather
can sometimes cause the LBC to run erratic.