Re: USA Today

To: british-cars@hoosier, islabs!sequent!uunet!dancer.cc.bellcore.com!whs70
Subject: Re: USA Today
From: rkg@ateq.com (Richard George x 7247)
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 13:13:21 PDT

>For those that aren't familiar with it, photo-radar takes a picture
>of the car & driver when a radar unit triggers above a preset
>speed threshold.  After the film is developed, a ticket is sent
>for speeding to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Apparently they tried this a number of years ago in Dallas, Texas (I couldn't
figure out why there were these little columns in the median somewhere until
someone told me...).  It was my understanding that the program was promptly
canceled when the cameras got one too many pictures of important people in
their cars with women other than their wives (NOT a good thing to send
home.....).

while I'm starting to look more favorably on stiffening up fines for traffic
violations (maybe a $1000 dollar fine for running red lights would
convince people that it really wasn't a good thing to do...),  these beasties
seem to be rather draconian as the accused party may or may not have actually
been driving the car in question, etc.,.

rkg

(Richard George)