RE- Exhaust pipes and backf

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE- Exhaust pipes and backf
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 20 May 92 15:27:18
GatorMail-Q                   RE: Exhaust pipes and backf
| I don't think I should
| explore as to why I think it happens mainly when you
| get off the throttle.

Because the engine keeps sucking air, and with the throttle plate
closed it creates very low pressure in the intake manifold behind
the carb plate.  Onfortunately the carb jets are in that region so
gas gets sucked out of them pretty vigorously.

   **** That must be a characteristic of fixed-venturi carburetors.
Constant-depression carbs have the jet between the throttle plate and the
outside world.  Still, there must be something special about deceleration even
for these cars;  the Clankster makes a most interesting sound when you do
vigorous engine braking.  Sort of a burbling roar.  I keep meaning to fix that
leaky exhaust system...

     - Jerry ( jkaidor@synoptics.com )