Golden Grommets

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Golden Grommets
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 92 09:18:54 pdt
I was pleased to find the little package from Vintage Motorsports
waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening.  Or I WAS until I read
the inclosed invoice.  I expected the brake bleeders to be outrageously
expensive and I certainly wasn't disappointed in that regard but what
really sucked the wind out was the price of the pedal grommets.  $20 for
the 4 fairly ordinary looking black rubber grommets that fit into the
1/2" holes in the cast aluminum brake and clutch pedals.  Before
ordering them I had spent some time trying to locate equivalent grommets
at several local hardware and electric supply stores.  I also looked
through the catalogs of a couple of mail order companies that specialize
in rubber extrusion and gaskets.  I even bought grommets of various
types that fit the holes to try out but none had the wide lip of the
originals.  Finally I decided that the $3-4 I would save wasn't worth
all this trouble.  Guess I should have persevered.  I still have one
hope; the grommets were not included in the shipment.  Apparently they
are on back order.  If they don't show up in a reasonable length of time
I plan to cancel and try another supplier.  Maybe JWF Restorations has a
better price.  Next time I will definitely ask the price before
ordering.

Roland (skinflint) Dudley