RE Photo Radar

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: RE Photo Radar
From: scott@psy.uwa.oz.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1992 15:51:03 +0800
Date: Thu May 21 16:19:53 1992
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)

RE: Photo radar.

Jim writes...

>I just returned from two weeks down under and it is used pretty extensively
>around Sydney and Melbourne.  They also use cameras to catch people who
>run or even go over the line at red lights.  It costs you AU$135 and 4
>points.  12 gets license suspended.

Here in Perth (see .sig) it's all over the place.  It has raised $3.5
million in extra revenue (Perth has 1.2 million inhabitants) in the 1st
12 months it was in use.  Our speed limit is 60 km/hr (38 mph) around town,
70-90 km/hr (43-56 mph) on freeways, and 110 km/hr in out of the city limits
(68 mph).  They found 90% of all cars were exceeding the speed limit and
between 20-50% exceed it by more than 10km (6 mph).

The police usually set the cameras triggers for 10 km/hr (6 mph) over the
limit.  As I don't speed I don't mind it much.  I tend to think of it as
a "speeding tax" if you want to speed you pay the tax :-)   When you think
about it speeding causes more pollution anyway :-)

>Saw lots of rust free LBCs, mini clubmans and mokes mostly and land rovers.
>also lots of LACs.  Picked up the local Unique Car Auto trader.  Lots of
>interesting stuff for sale as well as a list of every car club for every make
>of car in Australia.

Yeah Australia is a good place for LBCs...usually "students" drive them :-)

Regards Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@wapsy.uwa.oz]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3574).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

    *** ERROR 144 - REBOOT? is a registered trademark of ENSONIQ Corp ***