Re: coil spring compressors

To: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Subject: Re: coil spring compressors
From: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Tue, 26 May 92 8:15:02 CDT
> I've rented spring compressors when I've needed to mess with
> the front struts on the TR8.  I've decided to actually spend a little
> money and buy my own.  VB has some:  $17.95.  Has anyone got
> any idea what kind of quality these are?

I bought a set of these about 3 years ago when exchanging the lower
A-arms on the Alpine with those on the parts car.  If memory serves,
the price was around $25 back then.  I thought the price was somewhat
high, but I had run all over town looking for a set of spring
compressors that I could buy or rent that were small enough to fit
inside the Alpine's spring.  As you well know, there's not enough
clearance outside most LBC coil springs for a regular spring
compressor to fit.  So, as a last resort, I ordered the VB spring
compressor kit, figuring if it didn't work, I could always send it
back.

To my complete amazement, the VB kit was just what the doctor ordered.
It did the job perfectly, and my only complaint was the price.  As far
as quality, I'd say it's not the greatest.  I mean, we're talking
about a threaded rod with a hook welded on one end and a sliding hook
with washer and nut on the other.  With a welder and a little
ingenuity you could build your own at home, as was discussed here
on the list about a month ago.  So, I would consider $17.95 a little
high for what you get.  But in my case, after exhausting all other
possibilities, I would have to say I'm satisfied with my purchase.

There is a fairly good picture of the compressors in the VB
Sunbeam/MGA/AH3000 catalog.

Hope this helps,
--
T.J. Higgins | higgins@ingr.com | Intergraph Mapping Sciences | Huntsville, AL
"A Miata is a British car (in the biblical sense)." -- Herb Hughes