rust and rocker pannels

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: rust and rocker pannels
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1992 11:46 PDT
I would drill some holes (which can then act as drain holes), then, get some
flexible tubing (our chem-stores on campus has lots of size hose which is cheap
etc) about 5 foot should do it.  Then rig up something so you can attack it to
the end of the hose pipe.  I've used LOTS of duct tapw and it
New mail on node OREGON from IN%"Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV"
the end of the hose pipe.  I've used LOTS of duct tapw and it works pretty well.
Then insert the tube into the pannels and turn on the hose pipe, it will creat
quite a high pressure as the tube you use should be of smaller diameter.
Then be prepared to get wet.  You can also do things like plug the end of
the tube WELL and make holes in the sides at the tip so jets of water will
come out in all direction.  If you want to get very fancy you can use
a T piece and conect an additional very thin tube and put it into a small
container of detergent (alconox will disolve very tough grease etc and is a good
 wetting agent). So when you turn on the hose some od the detergent will be
drawn up into the water you are washing the rockers with.
Then of course let it dry.  If you have a supply of compressed air try blowing
it out too.

If you are in the rust belt, I would treat everything with waxoyl of spray
engine oil in there, it will drip for a while but it should at least slow
down the inevitable.

My old next door neighbour said his Dad used to squirt old engine oil into all
the box sections and seams and the cars never used to rust (this was in UK
where rust IS a problem)

If you intend using a rust teatment like waxoyl
New mail on node OREGON from IN%"DSTONE@SC9.intel.com"  "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9
521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6"
If you intend using a rust teatment like waxoyl or engine oil you should
LEAVE all the dust there so it can absorb al the oil etc and act as a coating.
Waxoyl suggest you remove the think chunks of dirt but leave some.

Cheers DW       dwilson@oregon.uoregon.edu