TR6 oil filters

To: sol@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: TR6 oil filters
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Tue, 26 May 92 14:12:48 EDT
        I spent part of Memorial Day weekend working on my TR6 (as I suspect
quite a few sol's did), and changed the oil & filter.  Is there some
geometric trick I missed?  As far as I can tell, the only ways to get
the oil filter cannister out of the spot it's in are to remove the engine or
remove the steering column.  I could get the filter element out, but not
the cannister.  I noticed that the pictures in the Haynes showed a filter
held next to an engine out of the car...  I managed to get it reasonably
clean in situ, though it's a pain.

        I also found (unless I set my new digital multimeter wrong) that my
tach is a consistent 20% high).  No wonder it wanted to idle at 1000 instead
of 800.  BTW, does anyone know a way to change a TR6 fuel filter without
getting your arms/floor/etc covered in gas?  I managed it (the hoses were
dead too), but I was getting pretty paranoid about the amount of gas that
spilled in the process.

        The other thing I did was to add a loop of wire to the hood catch
just in case the release cable breaks.  I can get the the wire from below
and tug on it to release the hood.  Anyone else out there with a TR6 should
strongly consider doing this, since if that cable breaks it takes serious
amounts of work to get at the latch (I think you have to remove the dash and
heater so you can work through a hole in hte firewall).

        Randell Jesup