Re: Mini Convertibles

To: sol@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Mini Convertibles
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 10:38 EDT
Hi All,

I had to respond to this thread.

The "mini" convertible is a kit car called the Pimlico.
There was a demo unit at the BMW Fall Vintage event at
Lime Rock last September. I spent a while talking to one
of the reps for the US sales distributor (located
somewhere in Connecticut.) He was a chatty Brit., and
fun to talk with. The factory is located in Kent, UK.

They are fiberglass, and they are reinforced. All of the
running gear comes from real minis, so in essence they
are "real" minis. I don't know how much they weigh, but
I imagine they are a bit heavier than the original (just
a guess.)

There is also a non-convertible version available.

Cost was about $8k for the basic body. I believe the
completed demo was sold for about $12k! Seemed a bit
high for a mini, but you don't have to worry about rust.

rml