I've had allz I can stanz.....

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: I've had allz I can stanz.....
From: RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1992 18:29 EDT
....I can stanz no more... So much for the imortal words of Popeye.
But it pretty much sums up my feelings about my Midget right about
now.

I need some help/advice on a clutch problem. Here are the details:

I have a 78 Midget, the clutch started grabbing, and generally not
disengaging unless the pedal was pumped a bunch of times, so I
put out a call for help on the net, and the advice was to rebuild
the master cylinder. I did. Bled the system numerous times, still
no real change.

Ok, maybe my rebuild job wasn't all that good. I ordered a new
master, a new slave (if I'm going to dissasemble stuff, mught
as well go new), and a new hose to connect the two.

Put the new stuff in, bled it numerous times, numerous ways...
w/vaccuum pump, pump once and crack the bleeder, pump 10 times
and crack the bleeder, on and on. Still no major change.

Here's what its doing. Its not fully disengaging. With the clutch
pedal all the way to the floor it takes a good amount of pressure
to push it into first, sometimes it grinds a little. For reverse,
I basically have to shut the motor off, put it in reverse, clutch in,
and restart.

With the trans in 1st, and the clutch in, the car will creep forward. When
I let the clutch out, it doesnt seem to release completely until the
clutch pedal is near the top (what I assume to be the normal position
for release).

I'm at a total loss as to what the heck the problem is and am starting
to reconsider the ownership of this LBC,,,,,

Any help, advice, clues, etc. greatly appreciated.

Ric "I hate hydraulic clutches" Golen