Re: 3500 stuff (was Re: 3500 in a GT6)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3500 stuff (was Re: 3500 in a GT6)
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1992 10:50:13 CDT
pismobch@well.sf.ca.us (Ed Devinney) writes:
> Well, I'm no expert, but I've collected a bunch of info about these engines;
> here's a summary. Everything you always wanted to know about the 3.5 liter
> Buick/Rover V8, but didn't know where to ask...it's a wee bit long, so you
> might be wanting to hit 'n' now if you're not a motorhead...

I have to chip in here with a couple of not-too-related stories on the Buick
engines... I was visiting a rather well-off friend a few years ago at his
summer place on a lake, and he was showing off his power boat. I'm not any
kind of expert on boats, but it looked like a typical hole-in-the-water-in-
which-you-pour-money to me until he lifted the engine cover; I was surprised
to see a brace of Buick V6s under it. Other than some marine modifications,
they looked to be pretty much same item I have in my Cutlass. It was a very
fast boat. :-) It also strikes me as the perfect example of American excess!

Back in '79-'81 I was happily employed at Cambridge University Engineering
Department in England, in charge of operating a 2 1/2-axis computerized
milling machine to cut casting patterns for a wide variety of industrial
applications using a new experimental computer-aided design process. One of
our more interesting projects was a new intake manifold design for the Rover
V8. It turned out very well, and later went into production. I had the nice
experience when I returned to the U.S. of being able to walk down the street
in the north suburbs of Chicago to the local Rover dealer, opening the hood
of a Rover V8 in the showroom and seeing the results of my handiwork from
my previous years in England.

-- Andy