Re: Gasket Goo

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket Goo
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1992 08:56:15 CDT
"Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com> writes:
> I'm pretty sure TRF sells Hylomar, and I know that Pegasus does. But
> I'd be inclined to use Ultra Blue RTV if there was some lying around.

I second that. Actually, the last time I was reassembling large sectors
of engine, I found that the more places I investigated about proper
sealers, the more different recommendations I got. I finally settled on
two materials for the gaskets: RTV and Copper-Coat. Any place where two
machined surfaces met, I used Copper-Coat on the gasket. Wherever I had
something else, such as a pressed steel cover mounting against the block,
where the mating surfaces COULD be less than flat, I coated the gasket
with RTV. No leaks anywhere.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473