Checking 1500 Thrust Washers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Checking 1500 Thrust Washers
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 92 15:50:26 CDT

        There is enough play in my Crankshaft to feel it with my hand
(probably around 1/8"), and I am interested in replacing the Thrust
washers and checking the rod bearings.  Most of the stuff I have done
in the past has not involved motor work, i.e. suspension, water pumps,
carb, distributor, brakes, so I feel this is a big leap.
        Anybody want to give me a rough idea on how hard this guys are
to replace, what parts need to be removed, what sort of measurement
tool I need exactly and how careful one has to be?  It seems a bit
forboding seeing that you are lying on your back and looking up into
the bottom of the engine.  Would be really nice to find a lift somewhere.

Thanks,
Kristian

PS

In the Sunday Chicago Tribune was listed:

1972 MGB Dune Buggy, no engine $300.

Top that for bizarre LBC!  I'll get the number if anyone is interested.