Re: Jacks, Lucas, & Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jacks, Lucas, & Oil
From: davevh@microsoft.com
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 92 14:26:40 PDT
| 2) Is it typical for cars using Lucas electrics to "melt down"
|    various (expensive) components?

I'd have to say "yes".  I've had the headlight and ignition switches
melt at different times on my Lotus. (Note that my Europa is not a
convertable, so Bruce's clever theory about extra exposure to the
elements wouldn't apply.  Nice theory, though.)  I did find an excuse,
though: the owner's manual says that the car came with 45w headlights,
not the 55/60w H4 headlights I'd been running.  But as I say, that's
just an excuse; a 3 amp margin on electrical components is skimpy even
for Chapman, and what the hell are the fuses for, anyway?  I've since
gone to 100w headlights with a relay so the big current draw doesn't
go through the switch.

Dave Van Horn   davevh@microsoft.com