Nonexistent OEM shocks?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Nonexistent OEM shocks?
From: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM (Dan Parslow)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 10:57:06 -0700 (MST)
The last couple of publications from TRF talk about the
unavailability of Armstrong tube shocks since Monroe bought them
out and discontinued some models.  Well, before you start
worrying about how you're going to replace your OE Armstrong
shocks, here's a suggestion:  Get under the car and LOOK.

When I looked under my Spit, I saw Girlings, not Armstrongs.
They're original, too.  Saved a lot of trouble, since TRF has
been backordered since March on their obscure-manufacturer "OEM
quality" replacements.

Anyway, I pulled the shot Girlings and didn't like the look of
them a-tall, they seemed very cheap.  So rather than go cherchez
les Girlings I took an ignorant chance on the pair of KYB gas
shocks recommended by my favorite parts counter (The only one in
town that still says "Triumph" and "MG" ahead of "Honda" and
"Toyota" on the front of the store).

Stuck them in and am very satisfied.  The (rather firmer) ride
and handling characteristics are outstanding.  Hope this helps
someone facing a shock decision on a later model Leyland.

Dan Parslow
Simplest address: parslow@sunquest.com

"Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself."
                      - A Village motto