Brazing Banjos

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Brazing Banjos
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 11:08:29 PDT
          Well, in preparation for the Palo Alto British
     meet I've been going thru a few neglected items on our
     Riley, one of which was changing the oil. This in
     itself is not the problem, but setting right the
     original oil filter setup very well could be.
          The 1 1/2 liter post-war Riley engine (not the
     later B-Series) uses a Wilmott-Breeden sealed cannister
     filter that you throw away rather than change elements.
     Initially I thought this'd be a bugger to find, but
     comparing it to a MGTC filter showed they were one in
     the same. $33 later (!) I had a new filter. Now here's
     the issue; the oil filter is hard plumbed and uses
     banjo-fitting connections. One of the previous P.O.s
     of Mr. Riley apparently had one of these oil lines
     break on him, and instead of replacing the line he
     simply cut the broken section out & clamped on a piece
     of high-pressure rubber oil hose. Now since I'm
     replacing the filter, I'd like to go back to original and
     repair the hard lines as well. The banjo fittings are
     there, and so I need to make up the lines and braze (?)
     them on. Any suggestions, as I've never brazed (if
     that's in fact what I need to do), would be greatly
     appreciated.

          Thanks in advance-
                            dstone@sc9.intel.com