backfiring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: backfiring
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 14:27:20 -0400
Gerry says:
different cars (both with Webers), that if I lean the miixture,
(using the mixture screw and not by chnaging jets), then or decelleration,
the engine backfires starts to backfire (especially on long downhill
descends. If I lean out the mixture even more the backfiring gets worse.

        If you lean the mixture too much you can get much of the same symptoms
as too rich a mixture.  i.e. strong gas smell, backfiring etc.  This is because
the gas mixture is so lean it doesn't burn in the combustion chamber.  In fact
it is easier to extinguish the flame front in the cylinder with too lean a
mixture than too rich of one.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu