Distributor aha!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor aha!
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 11:30:35 PDT
I'm still working on my TR6, rebuilding systems one or two at a time.  It gets
on the road for a day to try out the changes then I break it again...

The latest rebuild is the distributor.  I keep eyeing the completely mangled
adjustment bolt knowing that one bad part surely leads to another, so I pulled
the whole thing out, and...

Not so bad.  It's full of 22-year-old grease that exhibits little grease-like
properties, but overall it's OK.  Worn washers and shims, but the shaft is
OK and so is the main bush and the spiral gears.

But aha!  The two advance springs are totally different!  One strong, one
weak.  In fact, the strong one's REAL STRONG, a major stiffie that I can
barely stretch by hand.  I'm hoping this is reason why the performance goes
to hell from about 2500rpm on.  The low end is stump-pulling great.  Goes
up hills at 1000rpm and then step on it and it MOVES...    but once it hits
higher rpms it just loses power.  Presumably the advance just isn't working
right.

Most distributor parts are not available at all.  You can get O-ring, drive
dog, spring pin, but that's basically it.  Fortunately, TRF sells advance
spring sets, yea!, so I'm saved.  It would be a nightmare running down the
specs then the springs themselves from some random place...

--ian