Making an LBC into a city car?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Making an LBC into a city car?
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 16:53:24 CDT

        One question I have meant to query you all is how one would
best city-proof an LBC.  In particular I would like to make my Spitfire
more pot-hole proof.  Right now I do as a good a job as I can avoiding
holes - but they are everywhere and avoiding them adds another
dimension to my driving that can be dangerous during heavy traffic.

        The Spit suspension is so stiff that when I hit a sudden grade
change (2 or 3 inches is not uncommon) it is more like a small collision
than a bump.

        What sorts of things can one do in order of increasing
expense?  currently I run 165/80R13 tires that are almost new, and
whatever shocks came with the thing.  Is changing the shocks going to
make a difference, or is most of the stiffness coming from the
front/rear spring?  This is my only car and I would like to make
travelling on the roads here easier for it and me until I can do a
body-off restoration in a few years (i.e. whenever I finish this bloody
PhD).

        If larger tires make a difference, does anybody have an idea of
what the largest tires I could run on this car would be?

Thanks,
Kristian