distributor springs

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: distributor springs
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Thu Aug 6 08:34:38 1992
RE: distributor springs.

The springs in the distributor control the speed at which the distributor
goes to full advance.  I have seen distributors with two strong springs,
one strong and one weak, two weak springs, etc.

I have run two weak springs in my race mini to try to get to full advance by
say 2000 or 2500rpm.  two strong springs means you dont get to full advance
till about 5500 rpm.  We ran several combinations to test this out on my
local machinists distributor machine.  There is nothing per se wrong with
one strong and one weak spring, it will just give you a different advance
curve.

I believe that I have two medium springs now.  I get to full advance by around
3500-4000 and since I spend virtually all track time above that I am usually
at full advance, but it is still driveable in the paddock.

jim fuerstenberg

                        186,000 miles per second, it's not just a good idea
                        it's the law!

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil or
xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil

The opinions stated herein are solely my own and not those of my employer.