LBCs' at Sears Point

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: LBCs' at Sears Point
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 10:14:47 PDT
          Well, this weekend I was fortunate enough to
     be given some passes to watch a few friends race in
     the SCCA Regional Nationals up at Sears Point Raceway.
     I don't have time for a full race report, but I can pop
     off some of the Highlights;

     -Best Big Noi$e: a very pretty early Capri losing
     something in a big way right in front of the
     grandstands. Later in the pits we looked at a largish
     hole in the floorboard where a portion of clutch came
     thru, severing brake lines in the process. We also
     noted complete *absence* of transmission ! The clutch
     had come off of the flywheel, shattering the
     bellhousing, at which point the tranny dropped out of
     the bottom, right in front of one of my friends ! The
     bad noise had been the driveshaft beating around while
     he coasted to a stop.

     -Best (or worst shunt): In the Showroom Stock class a
     car lost it's engine on the back straight, and dumped
     a load of oil in the process. First car thru this mess
     was a new Camaro which promptly looped it & went head-on
     into the tire wall. This group was so big and running
     so close that 4 more cars then piled up in a chain reaction.
     The grand finale was a very colourful Miata that was not
     able to slow in time and hit the whole tangle going
     quite fast, catapulting it up and over several times,
     and finally landing rightside up *on* the tire wall.
     Luckily, no-one was hurt, but some VERY bent cars.

     -LBCs': A gaggle of impossibly fast Sprites, several
     Spitfires, a lone Mini, an Austin-America, a beautiful
     an fast Jensen-Healey that suddenly began emitting
     plumes of white smoke, Victim's MGB that relieved
     itself of it's entire exhaust system after an off-road
     excursion, Sam's (thanks for the tickets) starter-less
     MGB, and of course, the other Fizzballer (ask him)
     Larry Colen's On-Two-Wheels Cortina, that I had the
     dubious honor of changing tires on in  order to earn my
     keep.

     All in all a very enjoyable way to spend a Sunday.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com