Re: Re: Re- Re- Dot4 >> DOT5

To: jerry_kaidor@engtwomac.synoptics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re- Re- Dot4 >> DOT5
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 10:01:47 pdt
> Date: 10 Aug 92 09:35:50 U
> From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry_kaidor@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
> Subject: Re: Re- Re- Dot4 >> DOT5
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
>
>         Reply to:   RE>Re: Re: Dot4 >> DOT5
> Roland Dudley writes:
> ...While DOT5 brake fluid will not
> damage the existing paint on your car it could cause problems if
> you ever plan to repaint.  Silicone is very difficult to remove even
> with strong solvents....
>
> ***** I can echo that.  I painted the Clankster the day after doing the
>brakes.
>  Local SOLer's can testify how THAT turned out :-(.  On the other hand, I
>can't
> imagine that DOT5 is any worse in that regard than any number of silicone
> dressings that people put on their paint ON PURPOSE.
> It's still preferable to something that eats the paint that's already on the
> car, IMHO.

Jerry,

I agree that I'd rather spill DOT5 than DOT3/4 fluid on my car but
I've heard horror stories about repainting cars that have been polished
with silicone based waxes.  Apparently even sanding doesn't always
remove this stuff completely.  Sure hope I never have to have my van
repainted.  Silicone waxes are so much easier to apply and I'm very lazy.

Roland