Re: Cory's mysterious relay

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cory's mysterious relay
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 10:01:23 CDT
Cory C. writes >
> There's also an alternator *rely* that appears in the schematics, and
> which I *believe* I've located, next to the regulator, but the manual
> doesn't give any troubleshooting information on it, or even describe its
> function.

Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu writes \

\        Could this be used to prime the alternator on start-up?
\(alternators don't have permanent magnets, so they need a priming
\current to establish the magnetic field)

I was stapling the padding on the cart holding up my Europa S2 body yesterday,
when I noticed the little black plastic box above and slightly forward of the
regulator mounted on the right inside fender.  It looks just like the relays
you get in air-horn kits.

I figured it was another ridiculous add-on by the last owner but one (the
Bonzai Electrical Engineer), but hearing that Cory's Europa S2 has one makes me
think twice.  No, I have not yet analyzed the map or tried to trace the mess he
left me.   The chassis work has dominated efforts so far, and all the wiring is
attached to the body.

Since these relays usually have a map of their internal parts molded into the
case, and Cory has the map for the car, he should at least be able to determine
that the thing is wired right.  You can also check the voltage drop over the
contacts to insure that the relay works, whatever the heck it is for.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman