Re: Re: Fanatic Wheels

To: lydia@rosa.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Fanatic Wheels
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 92 11:36:17 pdt
> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 92 10:07:51 -0400
> From: lydia@rosa.mit.edu (Lydia Gregoret)
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re:  Fanatic Wheels
>
> Roland Dudley writes:
>
> >First, O'Connor
> >does indeed have their wheel rebuilding done by British Wire Wheel in
> >Santa Cruz, and I found out that I could have them done in two to three
>
> We had our wheels ('66 MGB 60 spoke?) done by British Wire Wheel
> about 18 months ago.  Although we feel it was definitely a worthwhile
> investment, it
> 1) took a very long time
> 2) was more expensive than we expected.

Hi Lydia,

Yes, I recall your postings about this.  I was hoping you were still
monitoring the list so I could hear about some recent experience with
BWW.

> Problems 1 and 2 are related.  Our spokes turned out to be badly rusted
> into the hubs so the wheels were in the hot tank for a very long time.
> Since the spokes were badly rusted, many of them simply broke and had
> to be replaced anyway, adding to the cost.  The guys at BWW said that

I have hopes mine won't be too bad.  They don't look too rusted and I
did disassemble one wheel myself using WD-40.  I only broke a couple
of nipples and no spokes.

> In all, the total cost was about $700 for reconditioning 4 wheels
> (normal paint, not chrome) plus four Michelins.  Our car was up on jack

Had me going there for a while when I saw the $700.  I can buy a whole
set of five new wheels for not much more then that.  But I see that
included tires.  I'll be having five 70 spoke wheels done and am hoping
for well under $500.  The tires I'll get elsewhere.

> Lydia Gregoret

Thanks,  BWW still sounds like the way to go.

Roland