Re: Re: Fanatic Wheels

To: lydia@rosa.mit.edu, uunet!cdc.hp.com!cobra
Subject: Re: Re: Fanatic Wheels
From: pacdata!dave@UCSD.EDU (Dave Ambrose)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 92 18:09:04 PDT

Then,  Lydia Gregoret writes:

>> We had our wheels ('66 MGB 60 spoke?) done by British Wire Wheel
>> about 18 months ago.  Although we feel it was definitely a worthwhile
>> investment, it
>> 1) took a very long time
>> 2) was more expensive than we expected.

        I too had all 4 of my wire wheels done at BWW.  I think the key here
is to ask them to do an _inspection_ first.  In my case,  one of the wheels
had a bad hub so we replaced it with a rebuilt wheel for something like $80.
The rest were in good shape and required only a few new spokes. They came in
at something like $50 per wheel.  I also had new Dunlop tires put on.  BTW
these are lasting very well,  but they're not the highest performing tires
I've used.  [This is without freight!]

        BWW's standard finish looks nice and has lasted very well on my daily
driver.  I'd be suprised if the premium finish were any less durable.  I'd say
call them and ask.  They're open Saturday mornings.

        Dave Ambrose,
        MGBeest Master