Kit cars

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Kit cars
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 9:26:43 BST
I just couldnt pass up on this mornings set of postings, first of all
some stuff about sevens and then a technicolour yawn thread...

First of all the caterham - westfield bit.  Yes caterham did take
westfield to the cleaners over westfields seven being to close, after
all caterham did pay Mr Chapman for the rights to use the Seven name.

>From all I've heard, Caterham kits are better engineered dont rattle
one iota when built properly (there is also a free post build check
with the caterham). Westfields have a much higher fibreglass content
than caterhams (which are all aluminium bar the front and rear wheel
arches and the nose cone) and dont look as 'sevenlike' as the caterham.

But the westfield kit is a fair bit cheaper and the westfield SeiGht
(clever naming) has the Rover v8 shoehorned into it....

Ultimatly it maybe comes down to 'snob' value, the Lotus Seven Owners
Club frowns on westfields as the wannabes whilst acknowledging
caterhams.

Anyway I want one bad, my granddads WW1 flying helmet is just waiting.8-)

--
|   Ben Hodson,            |   Email : hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk       |
|   Philips Research Labs, |   Tel : 0293 785544 ext 5750              |