RE: Westfield

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Westfield
From: "Robbert Springer" <SPRINGER@SARA.NL>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 10:51 MET
>> Do Westfield make a kit version of the Seven?  I always understood
>> that Caterham had the Seven and Westfield had the Eleven.  I'm
>> confused...

Westfield has 3 Sevens: The SE, which is the cheapest, the SEi, which has
independent rear suspension, the SEi wide, which is slightly bigger.

>Actually Westfield made a "better" Seven than Caterham !!!!. I have read
>a couple of reports on the Westfield Seven, and all of them say that it
>was (is) superior to the Caterham version. I can't remember the reasons, but
>I think their chassis was better engineered.

I think the main difference is that it is possible to buy the Westfield with
independent suspension.

>If you look in the back of
>"Classic & Thoroughbred", you'll notice that Westfield Seven's are just or
>slightly more expensive than the Lotus/Caterham version (it may be because
>they are better or rarer).

This is strange. Here in Holland the Westfield is about 1/3 of the price of a
Caterham. A complete Caterham will cost you about 60k guilders (about $30k)
while a complete Westfield SE costs about 20k guilders (about $10k).

Robbert