Coils, cont.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Coils, cont.
From: DODD@ELMO.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 9:06:11 EDT
 Daren wrote about his coil explorations through trial and error.  As I was
 trying to diagnose my own non-running midget with no spark, I noticed the
 coil was quite warm.  As in, I think holding for an extended period of time,
 like 10 seconds, and I would have gotten a nice burn.  My guess is that the
 insultaion on the windings went as far south as Daren had.  However, when I
 put in a replacement coil (new), it still would not fire.  The car had been
 running fine and quit absolutely.  Due to the sudden nature of the stop, even
 if it was not as spectacular as another recent net failure, I suspected the
 ignition.  My question is, what voltage readings should I get from the + and -
 terminals on the coil?  It was not clear from my manuals what readings I
 should get.  I know one side goes to the ignition and it should have 12
 volts.  What should the side going to the distributor read?  Since the car
 had been running great, I have not checked the points and condensor in depth
 yet.  I am under the impression that these typically fade as oppose to
 catastrophically fail.  Other thoughts?  I have to get the car going by
 saturday for the local British Car day show.  I would rather drive it than
 push it the three blocks to the show :-(
 MAD