Glazing. Was: Re: ACOC News

To: lye@elegans.wustl.edu
Subject: Glazing. Was: Re: ACOC News
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 13:59:35 pdt
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 14:39:58 CDT
> From: lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye)
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re:  ACOC News
>

> Actually, something similar was mentioned to me by a long time
> Britcar mechanic when faced with an engine that had glazed.
> However, what he reccomended was slightly different - baking soda.
> Just like what's used in powder fire extinguishers - anyone who's
> corner worked will know that race car drivers hate powder fire
> extinguishers becuase the powder gets everywhere and *is extremely
> abrasive*
>
> I'm slightly worried that the rings in my TR-3 have glazed the bores,
> and if they don't seat sometime soon, I've been tempted to try this.

I think I have the same problem with the engine in my '70 VW which I had
rebuilt a couple of years ago.  Like every other air-cooled VW on the
planets it leaks a bit of oil but not enough to account for the quart or
so I have to add every 500-600 miles.  The initial oil was put in by the
rebuilder for break-in and I certainly wasn't that gentle (or I should
say my 19 year old wasn't); but I did drain this oil after about 500
miles and put in Castrol 10/30 GTX.  Ten thousand miles or so have
elapsed since the rebuild and the plugs haven't fouled yet so I'm just
going to live with it.

Roland