Five for the road

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Five for the road
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 17:41:39 pdt
I finally got back to Mike at O'Connor Classics regarding having my
snake wire wheels rebuilt.  I called O'Connor's rather than British Wire
Wheel (who does the actual rebuilding) because I needed to get a few
questions answered about the logistics of dropping my wheels off there.
I asked about the difference between the "show" finish and the standard
"straight" finish and he gave me exactly the answer I was hoping for:
come on down and I'll show you some samples of both.  The show finish
better be pretty good since it will add $75 to the total cost (or $60 if
I decide not to have it done to the spare).  Since I don't plan to buy
tires from BWW, my plan was to have them dismount the existing tires and
toss them but I didn't want to pay the $10 each that they charge for
dismounting/remounting and balancing since I'd be paying for that again.
Mike assured me that dismounting would only be $4 each.  However, he had
a better suggestion that didn't even occur to me for some reason.  Bring
along my own new tires and let BWW handle the mounting and balancing.  I
don't even have to bring everything in all at once since the rebuilding
work will take 3-4 weeks.  I have to admit I was concerned about where
I would get the mounting and balancing done.  I didn't really want to
haul my rebuilt wheel around with me or take them back to BWW after I
bought the tires.  Also this will be cheaper than have dismounting and
mounting done by two different shops.  Now I have to make up my mind
about tires sooner than expected.  I'm very tempted to follow Phil
Ethier's and Scott Fisher's suggestion to go with BF Goodrich T/A R1
road racing tires even though they will be on the car for a while.  As sf
pointed out, I can take advantage of these super sticky tires for a year
or so before all the resins dissipate and they become "normal" tires.
Of course I probably won't be able to take full advantage of this
stickiness because the Fairlane engine in my snake is rather senile; on
the other hand, I've only have $75 (plus some personal labor) invested in
it so if it blows up the worst of it will be the inconvenience.

I did forget to ask Mike how the hell wire wheels were sealed for
tubeless tire.  I don't plan to do this but I'm really curious about how
it done.  Oh well, I'll ask Mike when I drop my wheels off.

Roland