Re: M**t* Replica?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, getephx!saundersb@enuucp.eas.asu.edu
Subject: Re: M**t* Replica?
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry_kaidor@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 13 Aug 92 17:49:12 U
   RE>M**t* Replica?

Bary,

    I understand that you've got a TR3 and are considering putting a japanese
drive train in it.  I'd like to advise against that.  First, you will destroy
the collector value of the car, but second, and more important, the "tractor
engine" is a very good engine.  Let me explain...

    This engine was originally designed during WWII to power jeeps in the North
Africa desert campaign.  As such, it is rugged, reliable, and easy to work on.
For example, the pistons are inside "wet sleeves", which can be pulled out of
the engine for servicing.  This is not a "throwaway" engine!

   Fitting with the character of the car, the tractor engine is a "long stroke"
affair, providing LOTS & LOTS of low end torque.  In fact, the engine is so
powerful, that TR3 front springs customarily wear out by LENGTHENING as the
car's nose is rears up on repetitive enthusiastic starts.
   The TR3 engine is so good, that not only did Triumph use it for 15 years,
but many other car makers bought the engine from them to put in their cars.
Morgan, for example.

    Here's a testament to the reliability of the engine:  a friend of mine has
a TR3 with FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES on it.  He rebuilt the engine about 200K
ago, and says "it's getting a little tired".  Time for another rebuild.  The
tractor engine is good at "running with things wrong".  When I got my car, it
had weak valve springs ( you could open the valves by hand ), a broken piston
ring, a leaky head gasket, and serious wear on the piston bores.  In this
condition the car would go a hundred miles an hour UPHILL.

   Of course, nothing is without it's weaknesses, and I'd be amiss if I didn't
mention them
   1)  You don't over-rev this engine.  Make a habit of exceeding redline, and
you'll be in the market for a new crank.

   2)  With the standard oil seals, it may dribble just a bit.

   3)  The early no-synchro-in-first transmissions tend to eat first gear.
       ( but a TR4 transmission is a drop-in replacement, and it has
          synchro-in-first )
   At any rate, that's about it.  I just wanted to correct any false
impressions you may have about this drivetrain.  Oh, and parts are mostly
easily available mailorder.  There are two major suppliers:

     "The Roadster Factory" in Armagh, PA, and
     "Moss Motors" in Goleta, CA

     - Jerry Kaidor ( jkaidor@synoptics.com )

p.s.  It sounds good, too.  Vroom!