Update on Car Randomly Dies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on Car Randomly Dies
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 10:49:29 -0700

Well yesterday evening I tried to find why my LBC continues to die. Well
I still have no clue as to why. The lights and everything quitting does
not happen anymore. I'm not real sure what I did to make it quit doing
that but it atleast does not die as often. It also seems to be heat
related, and the reason I say this is it never happens when the car is
cold. But it will happen after the car has been running for a while and
it has reached operating tempature. It also seems to be related to
hitting pot holes and other bumps and holes in the road.

I'm begining to beleive that it is also related to needing new front
motor nounts. They appear to have the problem that all "Bs" seem to have.
That is the angle bracket that mounts to the block is cracked, and the
rubber appears to be torn/ripped/seperated from some of the mount.
So I'm thinking that maybe the engine is rising off the mounts and
causing something to be stressed, and causing a connection to be broken.
I say this even though I have yet to find where this is occuring. I
spent a good thirty minutes under the car looking for just such a thing.
I looked in the engine bay and checked all harnesses for stress and
broken connections. The reason I say this is yesterday at lunch I broke
the accelerator cable. I suspected it was going to eventually break as
it was frayed(sp?) (broken/missing some strands etc...).

I just love to work on my LBC with a tie and coat on, and my Kuppenheimer
designer slacks on. When I get done I look and smell so good. I be ready
for a hot steamy date (with a sweat hog). It sure would be nice to work
in an environment that did not feel that your work is reflected in what
you wear. Actually I think they like to have a daily fashion show where
everyone has to participate in said event :-)

I'm almost to the point that my time is worth more than trying to fix
this and so I just might get a complete new wiring harness and install
it. This way I kill two birds with one stone, I get rid of P.O
abortions, ooops... I mean futile attempts at wiring fixes, and I get a
known quantity for a wiring harness. Also I suspect I could get rid of
some of those random intermittent problems that I always seem to have.

To give you an idea as to how bad it is, the radio is wired into the
light switch, thater are wires I have nary a clue as to where they go
but they are taped and just lying around, connectors are just lying
around with no place to go. When splices were made to the harness
"western union" type splices were used with electrical tape, instead of
crimps, and the list goes on.

With that said what harness do y'all think I should be getting? The car
is technically a '77 MGB. BUT... it has a '65 engine and
distributor(25D4), an altenator instead of a generator, the tranny is
the one without the dipstick, and it has no electric fans in front of the
radiator. The reason I ask this question is I can tell taht there is
some difference between the two harnesses just from the mess the P.O
made of the harness installing the new/different engine.

Bruce...