Charlie on Coils

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Charlie on Coils
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 08:47:15 PDT
          Since my original posting about coil dilemmas,
     several people have inquired about Charlie Rockwells'
     statement regarding coil orientation vs. polarity. I
     have in front of me his write up, and to quote the coil
     section:

     "All Lucas coils were designed to have the positive
     terminal be powered by the ignition switch and the
     negative terminal go to the distributor. This is true
     whether your car has a positive or negative ground. You
     get an instant five horsepower increase for correctly
     wiring your coil."

     And this is the part that's got me:

     "I believe that all British sports cars (were built ?)
     w/o a ballast resistor in the wiring system because the
     Lucas coils had a built in resistance in the primary
     winding. This means that almost any aftermarket coil
     you purchase will require a ballast resistor to prevent
     you from frying your new coil, points, or condenser.
     The only coils that do not require ballast resistors
     are the Lucas Sports coil and the Bosch coil for a 12v
     Beetle."

          Well, I tried this, and  Redcar would barely run
     with a ballast resistor inline, but w/o it, it runs
     perfect. Go figure.

          don't know, can't say,
                                dstone@sc9.intel.com