NO SPARK

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: NO SPARK
From: T Cox <tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 92 06:51:56 PDT
Had the strangest thing happen to me this weekend.  I went out to start my '79
MGB and all I heard was the engine turning with no hope for starting.  Now I
think my starter is going out since every once in a while, when I turn the key
the engine will not crank over but I still hear the starter turning (or at
least I think it is).  But that was not the problem this weekend.

Back to the no spark story.  I was trying to see if I was getting any spark
from the plugs so I popped off a plug wire and held it to the block while I had
someone crank the engine.  Alas to no avail, no spark.  I really didn't have a
clue of where to go next but there were a couple of fuses near the electronic
ignition so I decided to see if they were any good.  The first one was just
fine.  The next one I looked at was corroded beyond belief.  I didn't think
this was the problem but I cleaned it up anyway.  Much to my amazment. When I
tried to crank the engine, it fired right up.  Boy was I happy.  Anyway, does
anyone know what part of the ignition system that goes to for future reference?

tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil