Sticker Shock

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticker Shock
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 10:27:59 pdt
One of the members of the Nor-Cal Shelby Club works for a local Dodge
dealership and some how he was able to talk his boss into letting him
drive the dealership's one and only Viper to the club meeting last
Friday evening.  Needless to say it drew a large crowd.  Like all the
Vipers I've ever seen (well, like the one other one I've seen) it was
red.  Am I the only person on the planet who hates red cars?  I got a
pretty good look under the hood and was bit put off by not being able to
see much.  Awfully crowded under there.  The Dodge guy commented that a
front-end alignment takes six hours.  It had a really wimpy sounding
exhaust too.  But the most interesting thing about the car was the
dealer's sticker.  Kind of puts the $40+k MGB into perspective.  I could
be off a hundred or two either way but as you'll see it hardly matters.
The base price of the car was $52k.  The gas guzzler tax was $2600.  The
destination charge was $700.  The dealer mark up was, ta da!!: $199,000.
Dealer asking price $254,300.  Get your check books out.

Roland