Re: MGB-V8

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB-V8
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1992 08:29:17 -0400
Dan Graves scribed:
> I currently own a '64 MGB with a small block Ford V8.  Does anyone

That has to be a heavy front end. Did they (you?) do a good job of
up-rating the suspension?

> else out there happen to own or once owned something similar?  I'm

Well, I have a 64 'B, and I wouldn't mind a real (Rover Aluminium 3.5l)
MGB V8. (seeing as how the Buick/Rover block weighs *less* than the
4 banger.)

> looking for some advice on how to insulate the passenger compartment
> from the heat.  The motor has headers that collect through the wheel
> wells and the exhaust system continues under the floorboards and

Fiberglass header wrap on the exhaust system- This may make it prone
to rusting sooner, but will do wonders for controlling the heat,
which will even improve power some.

The cars originally had felt padding along the floorboards, under
the mats/carpet, which helps for sound & heat, but holds water
wonderfully. You decide.

For non flamable areas- there's a new, thin insulation sheeting available
from building supply stores, consisting of tough bubble-pack plastic
bonded with foil. It has a very good R-rating for its size & weight,
but is not fire-proof.

For that thin but critical area, you could try a sheet of Kevlar.
Not cheap, but it can be effective.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!