Re: tires for Cobra

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: tires for Cobra
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 9:25:01 CDT
Roland Dudley writes>

>I'm still not sure what size tires I'll be putting on these 6" rims.
>I've gotten recommendations ranging from 205mm to 225mm.  I'll probably
>settle on 215/60s

I believe that that size would be the best.

>According to the BF
>Goodrich dealer I talked to, the T/A Comp R1s are only available to
>selected people.  They won't sell them to just anyone walking in off the
>street.  Seems I'll need an SCCA contact or some such if I want a set.

He is ignorant, misinformed, or lying.  He is not a Team T/A dealer, so he
can't sell you R1 tires, so he tells you you can't get them.  You can buy them
from the area's Team T/A dealer or just order them direct from Team T/A.  If
you order them direct, your local Team T/A dealer gets a commission on them
anyway.

Anyone can join Team T/A for no charge.  Hell, I am a member on the basis of a
phone call.  You get a free monthly newsletter touting all their autocross,
racing, and off-road successes and some tech articles.  The R1 with the road
race compound (don't get the autocross compound, it wears out too fast) costs
$105 each in 215-60-15.  They will ship them to British Wire Wheel or to your
house FOR FREE.

All you have to do is call 1-800-RACE-BFG.  They will sign you up as a member,
take your $420 plastic and ship the tires.  Thats it!

>While I was at the Goodyear place I casually mentioned I was considering
>T/As.  The salesman offered his completely unbiased opinion that the
>Goodyears were far superior and that I would find that the car would
>handle much better with them.

The BFG R1 tires will make anything the local Goodyear place has look like they
have grease on the treads.  These things are AMAZING on dry pavement, merely OK
in rain and useless in snow.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman