Re: Re: Tubeless Wire Wheels and Such

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Re: Tubeless Wire Wheels and Such
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 92 11:35:52 pdt
> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 10:18:14 -0700
> From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cobra@snakebyte.cdc.hp.com
> Subject: Re:  Tubeless Wire Wheels and Such
> Cc: wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
>
> Changing the subject from snakes to presnakes...
> Sitting next to my TR3 in the body shop (Yes Virgina, its back again) is a
> red AC Ace (Acea?).  This AC is in excellent condition except for a new
> ding in a wing.  I always thought that the AC was a lot bigger than a TR3,
> but these two are comprable in size.  The six cyl. engine looks lake a
> large rectangular block unstead of a real engine.  What really amazed me
> was discovering that this 6 cyl car had the same displacement as a TR3 with
> 83mm pistons  AND 10 LESS  HP!!!  I would imagine that the AC ACE and the TR3
> were in the same class in competition.  I wonder how they stacked up.

The Ace was the roadster and the Aceca was the coupe version.  The Aceca
looks a bit like a GT6 from the side.  Sad to say, dents are an all too
common malady of aluminum bodied cars.  The Ace isn't really all that
big.  When I see an Ace I get the feeling I'm looking at a slightly
scaled down snake.  Kinda like one of those 4/5 size funny cars.  Do you
know which engine it had.  Several were used throughout the Ace's
production run.  The 2 litre Bristol was the most well know but the 2.6
litre Ford was probably more common.  As for performance, remember that
the Ace was very light and had independent suspension all round.

Roland