Re: Tubeless Wire Wheels and Such

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tubeless Wire Wheels and Such
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 10:18:14 -0700
Changing the subject from snakes to presnakes...
Sitting next to my TR3 in the body shop (Yes Virgina, its back again) is a
red AC Ace (Acea?).  This AC is in excellent condition except for a new
ding in a wing.  I always thought that the AC was a lot bigger than a TR3,
but these two are comprable in size.  The six cyl. engine looks lake a
large rectangular block unstead of a real engine.  What really amazed me
was discovering that this 6 cyl car had the same displacement as a TR3 with
83mm pistons  AND 10 LESS  HP!!!  I would imagine that the AC ACE and the TR3
were in the same class in competition.  I wonder how they stacked up.

Changing the subject from presnakes to my TR3 ...

Now that the work I originally thought I was originally having done is
getting done (put every detail in writing so no one misunderstands or
forgets) the paint has been stripped of the scuttle and the rear cowel.
There was rust through on both sides of the rear cowel (now new metal plates)
and one side looks like someone played percussion with the round end of a
ballpeen hammer :*(  These dents are now hammered out.  The scuttle also had
its problems.  Looks like something tried to push the windscreen back at one
time.  major depressions on each side where the windscreen attaches & a dent
that looks like a golf ball embedded itself half way into the scuttle.
Those have now been pulled out and the pulling out holes are being welded
shut.

But the body looked nice before I started taking it appart! So far the deepest
bondo was about 1-1/2 inch deep (on the scuttle).  There was enough glass
fibre coverong rust through to get a good start on building a Corevtte.  Now
there is none.  Used parts replacing parts too bad to fix are the inner and
opps ... includes both doors, bonnet (wrong one was installed), and the
boot lid.  New assemblies include rear valence, inner & outter sills, both
floors and a battery box. New front wing repair pannels have replaced
rusted through sections.  There are now 14 places on the tub where rust througgh
metal has been cut out and replaced with new metal.  But it looked good when
I started....

All I was going to do was replace the floors, put in a new interior,
rebuild the engine and replace the wiring harness..  Ship fitters disease..

Had I known what the previous dreaded owner had bondo'ed/ glass fibre'ed/
painted over, I tthink I would have started the search for a body to put on
my chasis (At lease the frame is in excellent condition).

Oh well, with the help of cubic $$$$ a rustbucket wrecking yard fugitive is
getting a new lease on life.

Cann't wait until I get the car back into the condition I was going to
disassemble it to

TeriAnn