Funny story

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Funny story
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 92 13:45 EDT
WARNING NO BC CONTENT.

I witnessed a funny/stupid thing last night, which convinced me that fools
and their money are still so easily parted. I was parking in a shopping
mall, next to a Buick with its hood up, and 2 guys hovering around it.

Overhearing the conversation, the father had been waiting for 1.5 hours for a
tow truck to arrive, as the Buick had a dead/dying battery, and the son had
arrived 1 hour ago in his own car.

Anyway 20 minutes later I returned to the car and they were still waiting,
so I went up to them and asked if they needed help. They declined because
the tow-truck should come any minute now. I hung around out of curiousity, and
sure enough the tow truck arrived. They hooked up a set of jumper leads and
the car started right away.

Anyway $60 later (+ a $20 tip), they were on their way.

What is funny about this story, is that we were standing in the parking lot
of a Kmart. All the car owner had to do at the very least, was go into Kmart
and buy a set of jumper leads (~$10) or buy a new battery (~ $70). Yet he
elected to pay $80, wait almost 2  hours AND probably will still have to buy a
new battary !!!!!!!

I always wonder if I am in wrong business !!! I should get a tow truck and
roam the country-side for "helpless" people.

On a different note, I sold a car (VW Golf) last week (the first time in the
USA), and was astonished at how ignorant people are about cars. Approx 10
people came to see the car, and not one of them bothered to look at the
underbody. I do not know about the rest of you, but that is the first place
I would look at.

The guy I eventually sold the car to asked the following questions :

"Is it front wheel drive ?"
"Does the radio work ?"
"Has it got a 5 speed gearbox ?"
"Does the radio work ?"
"What is the fuel consumption ?"
"Does the radio work ?"
"When was the last time the oil was changed ?"
"Does the radio work ?"

Gerry