The Ford V6/V4 story

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: The Ford V6/V4 story
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 92 13:07:13 CDT
Sebastian Welton writes\

\The original V6 'Essex' engine of 2,998cc ... was also found in the Granada

It is important to note that the English Ford Granada has nothing whatever to
do with the USA Ford Granada, which was a real Yankee Tank.

\The 2.8i (Cologne)
\engine was fitted into the last of the Capri range. It's no dissimilar to
\the old Essex engine, but is more powerful but less torque, this was due to
\two of the inlet ports on the carb. manifold being siamesed but you could buy
\a kit which allowed for three inlet ports.

\>Sidenote: My uncle's pianola company in England uses a big Ford delivery
\>van with a V4 (yes, V4) engine in it. Never had the heads off, but that
\>thing must have had cylinders the size of coffee cans in it!

\Probably a Transit. Not too sure about the new ones but older Transit vans
\had the V4 engine found in the Capri and Corsair in sizes of 1700cc & 2000cc.
\It was originally made for something that would have to tow a trailer and it
\was an awful engine (SAAB might have used them but I'm not too sure).

OK, one more time...

Ford USA designed a front-drive sedan called the Cardinal for the *1960* model
year.  They chickened and built the Falcon instead.  They sent the drawings to
Cologne, who threw away the body and used the mechanicals to build the Taunus.

The Cardinal V4 engine was built in Cologne and used in many Ford cars.

SAAB bought them and used them in all the four-stroke 95 (wagon), 96 (sedan),
and 97 (Sonett) cars.  When you pull the dipstick on a V4 SAAB, it says FoMoCo
on it.  SAAB used the engine first as a 1500 open-deck, then as a 1500
closed-deck and finally as a 1700 closed deck.

The same V4 was used in Mustang I prototype, mid-mounted.  (The Mustang II
prototype was the basis of the Mustang production car.)  This show car was
later used as a camera car for John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix".

The main bearing caps on later SAAB (Ford) V4 engines had no #1.  This is
because the "Cologne" V6 was the same engine with two more cylinders pasted on.
The Cardnal V4 "came home" to the USA in the form of the 2600cc V6 in the Ford
Capri sold by Mercury dealers in the USA.

\two of the inlet ports on the carb. manifold being siamesed

Right. Those were the original V4 ports.  When fitted with an extractor
exhaust, with a wye near the firewall under the car, the engine would breathe
like a British four with an LCB header.

I never considered it an "awful engine" at all.  They were solid and reliable
and had lots of torque, yet were not afraid to rev.  Ford still uses them in
industrial aplications.  I once saw one used to power some movable stuff on
a Parade of Roses float.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
After all these years, I still have SAAB stories.