Re: was funny story

To: DSTONE@libra.intel.com
Subject: Re: was funny story
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 92 15:43:39 CDT
Daren Stone writes >

>     so somebody tell me, what *are* cutters ?

The movie "Breaking Away" is set in a college town.  (University of Indiana?)
The local industry is architectural stone cutting.  The students use the term
"cutter" like "towny" as a depreciating way to refer to people who live in the
town.

In the movie, the protagonists were "cutters" and the antagonists were "preppy"
students from out of town.  The father of the main bike-riding protagonist was
in fact a former stone cutter who ran a used car lot.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
"Everybody cheats.  I just didn't know."